Sunday, December 11, 2011

I always disliked roller coasters…

December 11,2011


I always disliked roller coasters but I’ve got to get over that just to keep my sanity.  Bennett’s progress sometimes seems like being on a roller coaster, but as long as we keep creeping forward we have a lot to be thankful for.  My last update2 days ago I was deliriously happy and Bennett was delirious.  He’d just been extubated (ventilator tube out) and was being pretty funny as the sedatives wore off.  As I wrote the update he was in surgery getting his right thigh and calf washed out and the wound vacs re-applied.  

The news from that surgery was not good.  The surgeon found a lot of dead muscle around the site where Bennett’s femur had come out through his inner thigh.  It’s infected and the infection is right next to the arterial graft.  It’s common to get infections when compound fractures occur, but the arterial graft adds a scary complication.  I just can’t bring myself to throw that complication out into the universe by stating what it is in this blog.  I will just say that in order for a leg to be alive you must have blood flow.   The surgeon found that the deep femoral artery had also been severed.  The deep femoral artery branches off the femoral artery going deeper into the leg and does not leave the thigh.  A leg can live without the deep femoral artery however the reduced blood flow to the deeper tissues in the thigh probably didn’t help the situation.  The surgeon removed the dead muscle tissue, (he held up his fist to show how much), washed the heck out of the infected area and applied a fresh wound vac.  He also applied one to the incision on the outer thigh where the surgeons had gone in with the temporary plate on the night of the accident.  

After being deliriously happy with Bennett being extubated I crashed when I heard the news.   Later that evening I accidently redialed the number of a call I had missed earlier.  I didn’t know that I had dialed the number and heard a “hello?” coming from my phone.  When I placed the phone to my ear and apologized for “pocket dialing” someone, I found myself speaking to the brother of the young woman who witnessed Bennett’s accident, got the GPS coordinates and called ski patrol.  She stayed with Bennett and spoke to him until ski patrol arrived and was the first of many people that helped save Bennett’s life that day. 
Thank you Jennifer.  

That was two days ago.  Over that last 2 days Bennett has become more lucid and we see his personality intact.  He’s being pumped full of antibiotics and today his orthopedic surgeon went in to check out the infected area, do another washout and apply new wound vacs.  The surgeon found a bone splinter while he was in there that he removed and said that everything looks pretty good.  No more dead muscle had to be removed.  The graft is working well and he has a good pulse in his right foot.  He is loving company and although he’s still a little sedated he can carry on a great conversation, albeit a little slurry.  He knows where he is and why.  

I keep hearing amazing stories from the nurses, surgeons, helicopter team and friends of ski patrol about the series of events and actions that took place and saved Bennett’s life the day of the accident.   If any one of these actions or decisions by Bennett’s caregivers had been different he likely would not have made it.  When and if I get a clearer picture of what happened I’ll share the story.    

Friends that have visited in the last couple of days: Heather, Jason, Taylor (Chewbacca), Aaron (Treehugger), Marcus, Lindsey.  

Music therapy:  Little Tybee, Third Word, Nancy Griffith, Joe Craven, the Dodos, Chick Corea, Old Crow Medicine Show, Grateful Dead, Herbie Hancock, The Devil Makes Three, The Posies, The Accomplices

Book Therapy:  A walk in the woods

        Camels and Kite Surfing in Morocco



9 comments:

  1. Libby, he is so strong as he fights these many battles, and I think he got his strength form his incredible Mother! You all have many Angels looking out for all of you. Peace and Love! Sandi and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Bennett's journey...You are an amazing Mama Lion. I've shared the Spain surf video with many folks especially when I know Bennett is in surgery. Watching it feels like praying...Bennett is being carried in many people's hearts...much love, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Libby, Thanks so much for the update. You and Bennett are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Mike and I have spent a lot of years on the medical roller coaster. It has so many dips, swells and terrifying turns. Your post refreshed my memory really well! Keep your eyes open and hold on tight! You won't fly off the end and eventually you and Bennett will be at the end of this rideI I wish I was with you to just give you a giant hug and more encouragement! i'm sending more love and prayers for healing. I'm sending Kyle also. He'll give you a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Libby, I have been reading all your updates on Bennett, thank you so much for taking the time to keep all of us informed. Being an ICU nurse, I know what your going through with this roller coaster ride, it is so difficult to be happy one day and then have a setback the next. Just try to keep in mind that Bennett is young and very strong, it will take time for him to heal but heal he will!! We are always thinking about you guys and sending lots of positive energy your way!!! Take care Libby!! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libby, I've been trying to stay in tune with your emotional journey. It is now December 14, and all that is going on in my life pales to what is happening in yours. Always in my thoughts, prayers. Once I get moved and get mom on her way to recovery with her shattered shoulder, I promise I will crank up the fundraising efforts again. Thank you for taking the time to write this blog (still haven't figured out where that word came from!). Sort of scares me you haven't written in a couple of days and I've been out of the loop. Remember, no matter how bad it gets or seems, it could always be worse...
    Hugs and love and positive thoughts,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Libby just wanted to touch base with you. Please give Bennett my love and prayers. Everyone here is concerned and praying for his recovery. We are also working on some projects to assist in some way with his medical expenses and whatever else he may need now and in the future. Kim Hinely

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that Bennet will thrive and recover fully.If I can help,tell me.Hang tuff..Alan Roach 912-786-8361

    ReplyDelete
  8. Libby,

    I wish I could hold your hand through this. Please know that I am with you and Bennett in spirit. Love, love, love, love and more love to you and he.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Libby,

    I agree with Diane. It scares me you haven't updated the blog in a while. Sending all my love and healing thoughts to you and Bennett.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete